by Kristen Andersen
The Mirai® Sweet Corn seed breeding lines have been a popular choice for growers. In recent years, production challenges, seed crop failures and the seed no longer being produced by the supplier have made it increasingly difficult for Harris Seeds to source the high-quality Mirai® Sweet Corn seed that meets our valued customers' expectations.
To guarantee that only the best quality sweet corn seed is available for your production, we've made the difficult decision to remove the Mirai® Sweet Corn series from the Harris Seeds product line. We hope to re-introduce this series with confidence in the future, and we'll let you know when that happens.
To assist you in this transition, recommended substitute sweet corn seed varieties are described below. We hope you will find these suggestions helpful as you plan your next growing season, and welcome your questions or concerns regarding this change.
What Happened to Mirai® Sweet Corn Seeds?
Developed in Illinois, Mirai® Sweet Corn seeds are augmented supersweet varieties with exceptional sweetness. The varieties were initially marketed in Japan, where producers named the sweet corn seeds “mirai,” which roughly translates to “taste of the future.” Mirai® Sweet Corn varieties gained in popularity for a time, but have now been replaced with newer varieties, as is typical in the industry and happens over the span of about 10 years.
Recommended Substitutes and Their Benefits
Below is a list of the best substitutes we provide for each Mirai® Sweet Corn variety so you can continue growing and eating great-tasting and high-quality corn.
1. Sweet Corn Mirai® 421W
Sweet Corn Natalie F1: This rust-resistant white has premium eating quality. The plant grows to 6 feet with 8 to 8.5-inch ears set at 24 inches and 16 to 20 pearly kernel rows.
2. Sweet Corn Mirai® 315 BC
If you've come to enjoy the Mirai® 315 bicolor, here are some quality substitutes:
- Sweet Corn Rosie F1: This mid-season bicolor has superior taste and field holding ability. The plants are 6 feet in height with beautiful ears at around 7-8 inches and 16 to 18 rows of tasty kernels.
- Sweet Corn Nirvana F1: Nirvana has high yield potential and boasts exceptional taste and tenderness. Its 8-inch ears are set at 24 inches on solid 6.5-foot plants. The 16 kernel rows have excellent tip coverage.
3. Sweet Corn Mirai® 308 BC
Sweet Corn Raquel F1: Raquel produces large and well-filled ears at 8-8.5 inches with 16 to 20 rows of sweet-tasting kernels. It also has excellent yield potential and field holding ability.
4. Sweet Corn Mirai® 301 BC
Here are some adequate substitutes for the Mirai® 301 BC variety:
- Sweet Corn Caliber XR F1: This rust-resistant bicolor boasts stellar eating quality. Its ears range from 7.5-8 inches with 16 to 18 kernel rows and an attractive husk.
- Sweet Corn Flagler F1: Flagler is a high-yielding, supersweet bicolor with 8-inch ears on rust-resistant plants. Its 16 to 20 kernel rows have vibrant color contrast underneath beautiful husks.
- Sweet Corn American Dream F1: American Dream is an All-America Selection (AAS) winner for its outstanding tenderness, eating quality and flavor. This 6-foot plant is resistant to northern corn leaf blight (NCLB) and produces 7.5-inch ears set at 26 inches with 16 to 18 rows of bicolor kernels.
5. Sweet Corn Mirai® 160 Y
Our main substitute for Mirai® 160 yellow is Sweet Corn Vision F1 , and its flavor and tenderness are genuinely visionary. The plant grows clean and sturdy at 7 feet tall with 8-inch ears set at 24 inches. The ears are filled to the tip with 16 or 18 rows of glossy yellow kernels.
6. Sweet Corn Mirai® 130 Y
- Sweet Corn XTH1273 F1: This mid-season yellow is a pleasure to eat with 8-inch ears and 16 to 18 rows of vibrant yellow kernels. The sturdy husk protects the tender and sweet ears well.
- Sweet Corn Candice F1: Candice grows on 6-foot plants and produces 7.5-8-inch ears filled to the tip with 16 to 18 rows of refined, yellow kernels. It has supreme yield potential and field holding ability.
Shop Quality Seeds From Harris Seeds Today
Harris Seeds works to support all kinds of growers. Whether you care for a home garden or operate a commercial farm, we're here to assist you with all your seed-related needs. Since 1879, we've supplied vegetable and flower seeds and plants and supplies to hobbyists and professionals alike.
Whether you're interested in replacements for Mirai® Sweet Corn seeds or want to shop our organic seed selection, you can rely on Harris Seeds for premium quality and service. Feel free to explore our credit options to see how easily you can finance your selection with us — using top-grade, farmer-approved seeds doesn't need to be expensive!
To learn more about Harris Seeds, contact us at 800.544.7938 with any questions you may have.
Recommended substitutes for Sweet Corn Mirai 160 Y:
Sweet Corn Vision F1