Head lettuce or iceberg lettuce as it is also known, is easy to grow and one of the most recognizable lettuces for fresh market and roadside sales.
Our Top-Selling Head of Lettuce Seeds
At Harris Seeds, we understand that top-yielding harvests start with quality seeds, which is why we only provide the best. Here are some of our top sellers.
1. Lettuce Caretaker MTO Seeds
Caretakers are some of the most popular lettuce heads for their consistent sizes and quality, producing good harvests. The Caretaker also has solid tolerance to tipburn. Tipburn causes the breakdown of leaf margins and occurs when the lettuce cannot move enough nutrients and water to the leaves during rapid growth. This defect can affect the heart and the leaves and significantly reduce the lettuce's shelf life and appearance. Naturally, Caretaker's resistance to tipburn makes it an excellent option for growers.
2. Lettuce Medimo Seeds
Medimo lettuce is a great option to grow in all seasons, with good resistance to bolting and heat. Bolting is when nutrients and energy are sent to the flowering stalk instead of toward keeping the leaves tasty and healthy. Medimo lettuce is known for being sweet and slightly blistered, and its quality and appearance make this option a suitable choice year-round.
3. Lettuce Meridian Seeds
Meridian lettuce does well across climates, yields uniform heads and has a good shape, making this option popular for retail, fresh markets or personal use. The stems make this variety easy to cut and clean and a top seller among growers. This variety is also resistant to bolting and downy mildew, which is caused by a fungus-type organism that creates fuzzy white mold on leaves and yellow patches. These patches turn brown and the leaf tissue dies, negatively affecting the appearance and health of the lettuce.
Benefits of Planting Lettuce Seeds
Planting lettuce head seeds has many benefits:
- Rapid growth: These great leafy greens grow quickly, allowing you to stagger plantings and yield harvest consistently and continually.
- Produce length: You can harvest lettuce from the same plant several times, making it an exceptional seed to grow.
- Low maintenance: Growing lettuce is ideal for beginners because it's relatively low maintenance as long as you water the plant sufficiently.
- Little space requirements: Lettuce seeds thrive in raised beds, meaning they can grow in smaller areas, in containers, or on decks, patios, balconies or porches. As a result, they are a great option for personal use.
- Sowing ease: You can plant lettuce seeds as soon as you have tilled your soil — no complicated methods are required.
Get Your Head of Lettuce Seeds at Harris Seeds
Harris Seeds proudly sells the highest quality of seeds and has since 1879. Shop our collection of lettuce seeds today to find the perfect option for your garden!