starting at $7.95
Corn, Sweet Corn
Look to Harris Seeds for the best selection of sweet corn seed varieties around. Choose from over 85 sweet corn seed varieties - bicolor sweet corn, yellow sweet corn and white sweet corn. A wide variety of genetic types including normal sugary, sugary enhanced, supersweet, synergistic and Sweet Breed sweet corn seed types are available. We are also now offering a selection of biotech sweet corn seeds.The Evolution of Sweet Corn
Sweet corn has evolved over the last twenty years, turning into superior varieties with high eating quality and disease resistance. The hybrids of today are far superior in eating quality compared to heirlooms, open-pollinated and older sweet corn hybrid varieties.
New hybrids are tested for several sweet corn diseases each year to ensure intermediate resistance or resistance. The most promising experimental are grown in trials throughout the country to test their adaptability before they are named and offered for sale. Throughout the breeding and testing period, constant attention remains on the most desirable characteristics featured in Harris' sweet corn seed varieties; seed vigor in the cold soils, disease resistance levels, dark green flag leaves, husk and ear appearance and eating quality.
There are five basic genetic types of sweet corn we offer:
•normal sugary (su)
•sugary enhanced (se)
•synergistic se (sy)
•augmented supersweet (shA)
TIPS FOR GROWING SWEET CORN
- Corn seeds should be planted in a spot that receives full sun, in well-draining soil.
- Plant sweet corn seeds approximately one inch deep, spaced about 9-12 inches apart
- Soil should have a temperature of about 60 degrees or above
- Sweet corn requires frequent watering to produce full, healthy ears. Once the tassels appear, you should provide at least one inch of water per week. Make sure the soil doesn’t dry out between waterings.
- Cross-pollination between supersweets and other genetic classes will turn corn kernels tough and starchy. This effect works both ways. Since corn is wind-pollinated, the supersweets should be isolated at least 250ft from all other non-sh3 corn (field, su, se, sb, sy, pop, ornamental etc.), use natural wind barriers and/or plant with 10-14 days maturity difference between varieties.
Average Seed Count: 250-300 per packet; 2,500 - 4,200/Lb.
Popular Collections of Sweet Corn Seeds
When you're ready to buy corn seeds, you can choose from plenty of varieties. The bestselling sweet corn seeds from our collection include:
- Yellow sweet corn: Enjoy yellow sweet corn for a traditional taste and look.
- White sweet corn: With its creamy hue, white sweet corn offers plump kernels ready to prepare. It's a wonderful counterpart to yellow sweet corn that complements many recipes.
- Biotech sweet corn: Bioengineering has produced biotech sweet corn to avoid low crop yields and weak crops. This sweet corn offers the resistance and taste you want out of sweet corn.
- Bicolor sweet corn: Offering the best of all worlds, bicolor sweet corn is a favorite among our customers. Our extensive lineup of bicolor sweet corn types has something for everyone.
- Quality Elite™ sweet corn: Impressive taste, quality and ear size make Quality Elite sweet corn an in-demand seed type. When you want your yield and results to beat industry standards, trust Quality Elite corn seeds.
- IFSI Reserve™ sweet corn: This kind of sweet corn has been carefully cultivated through the Illinois Foundation Seeds, Inc. breeding program. IFSI Reserve sweet corn delivers on every promise, from seedling health to intense kernel flavor.
- Nirvana™ Series sweet corn: With the Nirvana Series, you get a supersweet corn variety that's easy to harvest. Expect uniform ear growth and a durable texture that holds its own against other ingredients in recipes.
We make it easy to shop sweet corn seeds, all in one place. Find corn seeds for sale from Harris Seeds and place your order today!
starting at $7.95